|Looking SE from the driveway
History of Wayne Lodge #112,
F & A M of Michigan
During the 1850's, the local Churches were the only organizations
to have service clubs. The first organization to break this milestone was Wayne Lodge No. 112, F. & A.M. which
was founded in 1858 and chartered in 1859.
The following gentlemen and brothers were the charter members of
Bradshaw Hodgkinson, Gilman
W. Walker, William
C. Steers, Dr Alexander Collar,
A.D. Dibble, E.P.Lewis,
E. McMillan, William R. Curtis and Rev J.W. Kellogg.
Worshipful Brother Samuel Walker was the first man to hold the position of Worshipful
In 1868, an auxiliary unit named Nankin Chapter No 238, Order of the Eastern Star
was formed to be held in the Wayne Temple.
In 1902, Wayne Lodge held a Ball at the Wayne Skating Rink. The
dinner cost 25 cents and was served by members of the Eastern Star.
The Lodge meetings were held on
the second floor of the Steers Building. The Steers building was condemned in 1914 and so the lodge started looking for a new
In 1915, the Masons built a new building on Jones Street ( formerly known as Park Street) and
Monroe Street (which is now Wayne Road). The new building, made from brick, had a cost of about $25,000.00.
The second floor of the Jones Street building was to be used for the lodge meetings.
The Wayne Post Office
was then located on the first floor along with as well The People’s State Bank; A Movie House; a variety of Stores;
and the Wayne Municipal Court.
The current Wayne Masonic Temple was constructed in 1965 on Palmer
Road in (old) Nankin Township, (now) Westland, Michigan, and stands there today.
|The Building Sign & Custom-made Square & Compasses